Burlington, Ontario — August 3, 2015 — Two infants were freed from a locked vehicle in Burlington late last week thanks to the quick actions of emergency responders and a local towing company.
The Burlington Post reports the four-month-old twins were inadvertently locked in a parked minivan the afternoon of July 30, after their mother mistakenly dropped her keys on the seat and closed the door.
Emergency personnel were quick to arrive on the scene, with police, firefighters and paramedics pulling into the townhouse parking lot, located on Tyandaga Park Drive, near Brant Street, at around 12:35 p.m.
Responders were joined by AAction Towing staff, who helped free the trapped twins by using a specialized tool to unlock the van’s door.
Halton Regional Police Sgt. Gerard Kelly says the infants appeared unharmed after spending around 10 minutes inside the vechile, but were transported to Joseph Brant Hospital as a precautionary measure.
Days before the incident, Environment Canada issued a string of heat alerts, including an extreme heat warning on July 29 for much of Southern Ontario, including the Halton-Peel region.
Thursday’s temperature was a reported 28C but felt closer to 31C with the humidex, according the agency.
Environment Canada warns against leaving children or pets unattended inside vehicles throughout the summer months. Interior temperatures can climb in excess of 66C, whether windows are cracked or not, posing serious and life-threatening health risks.